Green Cove gets Historic Marker
A new historic state highway sign marking the Green Cove community’s history with the rail line has been installed. Residents of the area raised more than $1,300 to pay for the sign. The Virginia Carolina Railroad built the station in 1914. In addition to the train station, it served as the community’s post office, general store and telegraph office.
The U.S. Forest Service took over operations and turned the building into a visitor center when the rail bed was converted into the Virginia Creeper Trail for hikers and bikers. KingMill's model kit of the Green Cove Station is available for sale in the station.
Click here to read full article